The Gibson LG-2 was first introduced in 1942, and was one of the few instruments Gibson continued to manufacture throughout World War 2. This 1944 Gibson LG-2 is a fantastic example of a '40s Gibson, often considered the companies golden era for build quality and sound. This so called 'banner' model features the "Only a Gibson is good enough" headstock banner logo, and is constructed from a Mahogany top with Mahogany back and sides, giving the sunburst finish a more red appearance than Spruce top models.
These guitars featured scalloped X bracing, and are very lightly built, making for a tone that is extremely open and resonant, with this LG-2 clearly having been extensively played in over the years resulting in a wonderfully responsive tone. The neck profile is a comfortable, with the more rounded, low profile feel found on models from this period, as opposed to the 'V' shape necks of pre-war instruments. As Brazilian Rosewood became harder to source during the war, many Gibson guitars from this time feature American Gumwood fingerboards and bridges as this example does, which has a slightly lighter appearance than the Rosewood equivalent.
This guitar is in very good condition for an instrument of its age, with all the signs of play wear you would expect. This guitar has had a neck reset at some point in its life, ensuring it will continue to play well for many years. The neck has also been refinished, presumably at the same time as the neck reset, with the original finish being retained on the body. Other than that, this instrument is in all original condition, and includes a non original case.